Touchable Universe in a Box
Whether we are feeling the warmth from our closest star, the Sun, during the day, or learning about the majestic array of planets, stars, and galaxies in the greater universe, the sky connects us all. With this kit of activities, we invite you to explore aspects of your universe with us.
The Touchable Universe kit contains five 3D prints created from NASA data, including three models from the Chandra X-ray Observatory of supernova remnant Cassiopeia A (which also uses NASA infrared and ground-based optical data), Supernova 1987A, and the double star system and nova V745 SCO. There are also two models from the Hubble Space Telescope, which includes and data from other missions, Eta Carina, a bright star system, and the star-formation region known commonly as the Pillars of Creation.
Here's what you'll find inside:
- Five 3D prints:
- Supernova remnant Cassiopeia A
- Supernova 1987a
- Double Star System and Nova V745 SCO
- Eta Carina
- Pillars of Creation (also known as the Eagle Nebula).
- Audio files with descriptions for each of the five 3D-printed objects
- A tactile and Braille poster series mounted on still styrene that cover science topics of eruptions, shadows, wind, erosion, outflows, seeding, and spirals
- Audio files of the text from the Braille panels